Start Convalidating marriage

Convalidating marriage

If a couple finds themselves in the situation that they are married civilly, but considered unmarried by the Church since they never requested the Sacrament of Marriage, then they should contact a priest in order to begin the process of convalidating their union.

The couple will need to provide their certificate of Baptism and fill different forms with the local priest (see example here).

The numbers are sizable: Since 1999, the Scheut Missions priest has seen one to three couples per month for convalidation.

“Many of them were focused on supporting their children and family in the Philippines.

(Can.1066) The parties to a marriage covenant are a baptized man and woman, free to contract marriage, who freely express their consent. Victims of incest, persons coming from alcoholic homes, drug addicts home, violent and abusive home, signs of bulimia etc. Can.1095 "The following are incapable of contracting marriage: - those who, because of causes of a psychological nature, are unable to assume the essential obligations of marriage." C. Can.1084 §1 "Antecedent and perpetual impotence to have sexual intercourse, whether on the part of the man or on that of the woman, whether absolute or relative, by its very nature invalidates marriage." Marriage should be celebrated in the public liturgy of the Church.